Monday, December 27, 2010

A Blizzard of Cooking!


This is certain to go down in history as the Blizzard of 2010 or "Snowpocalypse II: The Shitstorm" or some such. It snowed from Christmas night, all day yesterday, till this morning, with the wind howling the whole time, gusts of 50 mph. Its hard to say how much snow fell, because there just drifts everywhere, many of them 6 feet high, the windows of our house are half-covered. What to do, what else, cook, stuck in the house with tons of leftovers from christmas, no way I was shovelling (I found someone on Craigslist who would come over with a snowblower), I was free to create.

First, breakfast, saute'd greens and diced tomatoes over toast, with a poached egg and pieces of ham I had briefly browned in a pan:




The next project was obvious; of course we had a ham for the Christmas brunch, and therefore, it was time to make split-pea with ham soup.







So this is the progress so far, the split pea soup is just about finished, and I have started on that brandade de morue that I have been going on about for two days now:



And I think it may be possible to escape the house now, the man with the shovel seems to have freed one of the cars, so I am going forth to get a few items that will allow me to try one of the French Laundry recipes I have had my eye on.

No comments: