Thursday, October 30, 2008

Professionalism, AKA going through the motions even though the passion is long gone.

I have been suffering through a long dry spell. I have not come up with anything good for too long, it started before I stopped posting, I was reduced to posting rants about Emeril's bologna and my Hippo's love of lobster, without even caring enough to describe the lobster dish there before the Hippo. It just wasn't that great (I can now see in my mind, just before the famous food-fight scene in Animal House, Mandy tells Otter, "face it, you weren't that great;" he looks directly at the camera, points to himself, and mouths, with expression of disbelief "not that great?")

I am bored, I have lost my enthusiasm, nothing interests or excites me. It always happens to me this time of year, right about when the days get so short that its dark when I get home from my commute. Is is Seasonal Affect Disorder?

Or is it fear, fear and uncertainty over what is happening with the economy? Grocery prices seem to be rising daily, its not in the news, but its alarming, everything costs $4.00 now, a dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread (OK, good bread). A can of Italian tomatoes costs $3.79, a pound of butter, $3.69, a single fucking lemon, 99 cents. Since when is a fucking lemon a dollar? The stock market is in a meltdown, my industry has just driven off a cliff, people are being laid off, my association is looking at a tough year. The value of my house, bought at the top of the market, is falling, my equity is disappearing. There is plenty to fear, even without the usual fears this time of year, of ghosts and witches and zombies and Palins.

Is it the election? The never-ending election that began in 2006 and now has only five days left, five days for Obama to lose his 5-point lead, thats only one point a day, it could happen, and there is Diebold and voter purging and intimidation and maybe still a November surprise. I am so obsessed, so keyed up, so twisted and expectant and dreading and hopeful, This time, this time for real, this one is critical, this one determines the future, will my son grow up and live in a totalitarian christian theocracy, in a climate of racist anti-intellectual paranoia and suspicion, or will he live in a prosperous free society that celebrates differences, values knowledge and allows opportunity for everyone? Sorry to sound so melodramatic, I am supposed to be the great Cynic, but this one, this election, this is the Big One, I am convinced.

I have filled the time the last two weeks with a few tentative steps towards a realistic, attainable goal, a way to make food my living. A Delicatessen. A european style, high end, gourmet deli and cafe and catering operation. Is it possible? Who knows. But instead of making up recipes, lately I have been making up menus.

Here is one:

Ray’s Place Deli (Provisional Working Name)


Meats
Barbecued baby back ribs
Smoked Entrée du Jour (Turkey, Chicken, Duck, Beef Brisket, Pork Shoulder)
Roast chicken
Roasted, Stuffed Poulet
Buffalo Game Hen
Stuffed Veal Breast Gallotine
Braised short ribs
Buffalo Wings
Roast Pork, Chipotle Bourbon Sauce
Satay of the Day (Chicken, pork, or shrimp)
Lamb Sausages
Stir fry of the day
Curry of the day
Ettoufe’
Lamb shanks
Osso Buco
Rissotto of the Day (saffron, mushroom, whatever is left over from the cooked meats the day before)
Lasagna of the Day

Sides
Sautéed Broccoli rabe
Asparagus with vinaigrette
Mixed Roasted Seasonal Vegetables
Roasted red peppers
Sautéed eggplant
Roasted Onions
Sauteed Mushrooms
Scalloped Potatoes
Basmati Pilaf
Israeli CousCous
Cous Cous (variations)
Pasta du Jour

Soups
Clam Chowders
Crab and Corn Chowder
Portuguese Sausage and Greens soup (I forgot the recipe)
Lentil Soup
Beef Barley and Kale
Cream of Mushroom
Dubliner Cheese and Asparagus
Chicken Noodle
Smoked Turkey and Rice Gumbo
Chili
Veal Stock

Salads
Larp – Thai Chicken Salad
Tuna Salad
Lentil Salad
Tabouli
Individual Antipasto Platter
Pasta Salad of the Day
Potato Salad
Cole Slaw
Mozzarella-Tomato
Isreali Cous Cous Pesto Salad

Dips, Spreads, Dressings
Pureed White Bean Dip
Hummus
Dubliner Cheese-Horseradish Dip
Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon
Spinach-Cheese Dip
Bruschetta
North African Bruschetta (pita, peppers, cumin)
Crab & artichoke Dip
Baba Ganoush
Cinco de Mayo
Ceasar Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing


Sauces
Pesto Pasta
Roasted Tomato Puttanesca
Alfredo
Vodka
White Bean and Sausage
Sausage Bolognese
White Clam Sauce
Veloute
Bechamel


Specialty Sandwiches
Lamb Sausage Gyro
Thai chicken salad in Rice Flour Spring Roll Wrappers
Roast Pork and Broccoli rabe
Muffaletta
Hummus and Bean Sprout Pita, Feta, tomatoes, scallions
Prosciutto, Mozzarella, and Roasted Peppers
Roasted Vegetable Burger with Chipotle Mayo
Lamb Sausage and Peppers
Chicken Pesto Wrap
BLT with Chipotle Mayo
Vietnamese French Bread Sandwiches

3 comments:

SanFranLefty said...

Yes, it's the season, yes it's the election.

Re: your proposed menu. It all sounds amazing. But I think initially you would have to rotate some of the items to be specialties of the day, or get themed days going. Cut it down to no more than 7 or 8 hot items a day. You can get away with more cold items because they last longer. The pork products could have more variety. Otherwise you'll be throwing out a lot of food (and losing money) or selling a lot of borderline nasty food (and losing money).

You really need to come out to SF and check out some of the delis we have. Chris Consentino just opened a "salty pig product" deli in the Ferry Building, I live blocks away from a deli with amazing to-go food which is popular with teh local gheyz and has a rotating menu of 9-10 hot items - 3 or 4 are on the menu every night and the rest are different depending on what day it is. Might be a good model for you.

hang in there.

Mistress Cynica said...

Hey Prommie, Any chance you might post the kale recipes you talked about on Stinque? I'm getting tons of kale from my CSA, and I'm getting tired of sauteing it with garlic.
Menu sounds great, but I think SFL has some valid points.

Anonymous said...

Election's over, time to pony up with the Hope and Change menu for Inauguration Day, Prommie!

Or perhaps, "75 dishes to prepare until Inauguration Day".

Reclaim the passion. Your deli menu sounds fantastic, even if I'd have to use my escrow line to to feed my family from it.